Weightlifting Questions and Answers
Nowadays, weightlifting which means strength training with the use of weights has become more and more popular with people as a method to gain strength, muscle and reduce fat. However, are you sure that you know everything about weightlifting.
This article is going to provide you with a list of frequently asked questions about weightlifting.
1. Which group of muscles should work out together?
The chest, shoulders and triceps: All of them are known as the push muscles which cooperate to push the resistance away from the body. The shoulders, the chest and the pectorals are representative of the larger muscles. On the other hand, the triceps are representative of the smaller muscles.
The back and biceps: Known as pull muscles, they function to pull the resistance towards the body. The back, a large muscle, includes rhomboid and latissimus muscles, which are upheld by the bicep, a small muscle. To train this muscle group, you should do pull down exercises with barbells and cable pulleys or deadlifts.
Hamstrings (biceps), calves and the glutes:This group of muscles is positioned at the back of the leg and support hip and knee movements.
2. Can I build muscle with free weights or machines?
If you want to gain muscle mass, you should work out with free weights rather than with machines. The reason is that lifting weights with free weights can help you build muscle in the long term; however, doing so with machines is more useful for training stubborn muscles.
3. What exercises to do with free weights?
There are various exercises to which can be done with free weights, three of which will be specifically described below.
- Goblet Squat:
- Whether you are starter or an experienced body builder, you can do this exercise.
- Steps: Stand with feet positioned wider than shoulders; use both hands to hold a dumbbell in front of your chest. Sit downlike when you are doing a squat, stand up and repeat.
- Dumbbell Clean:
- This exercise is ideal for people who want to look like an Olympian.
- It will not only help you to build lean muscles but also build explosive power.
- It also accelerates muscle growing process by carrying blood to your hamstrings, glutes, arms and shoulders with the highest speed.
- Steps: Hold two dumbbells, one in each of your hands and then uplift the weights towards your shoulders, slightly jump up. Slowly extend your legs until you stand up. After that, bring the weights down to your thighs and then turn into a squat.
- Bent-Over Row
- This movement will affect several muscles in your upper body (traps, rhomboids, lats and biceps).
- Steps: Hold the two dumbbells with two hands; uplift the weights to your chest and lower them to your ankles and repeat. Keep your core tight and your back straight.
4. Which dumbbell weight should I use to build muscle?
Which dumbbell weight to use depends on what is your purpose when lifting weights.A heavy weight helps build muscle. On the other hand, the lighter one helps stabilize the muscles, supporting joints and tendons. Regardless of which weight you choose, it is advisable to follow some general advice below.
First, you should measure your strength to decide which dumbbell weight is ideal for you. Secondly, in the process of weight lifting, you should listen to your body to decide when to put more weights in the dumbbell, when to reduce or stop.
5. How many days a week should I do weightlifting?
Depending on your goals and schedule, the maximum number of days to do weight lifting may vary. However, you should plan your workout session beforehand so that you can get the desirable results. For an average body builder, you should lift weights from two to four days per week and three days per week for the best.
6. How does theStrongLifts5x5 workout work?
StrongLifts5x5 is well-known as the simplest and most effective exercise to build muscle and strength. In each of the times you work out with StrongLifts5x5program (you can do three times a week), you do five barbell exercises, which are Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, Overhead and Barbell Rowfor sets of five reps. During the workout session, you can increase the weight. Start with a light weight and then increase by 2,5kg/5lb each workout. Gradually increasing weight like this helps you simply and safely get stronger and gain strength
Above are six of the most frequently asked questions about weightlifting. Do not forget to consult your doctor or fitness trainer for advice and guidance. Hope that this will help you safely and effectivelybuild muscle and gain strength through weightlifting.